In This Recipe:
Snowball Coconut Cake
- 6 egg whites
- 300 g sugar
- 300 g all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
For the Coconut Pastry Cream
- Separate egg whites and yolks. Set yolks aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Reduce mixer speed to medium and add sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until egg whites are shiny and stiff peaks form.
- Sift 1/3 of the flour and baking powder into the egg whites. Gently fold, ensuring not to over-mix.
- Add 1/4 cup of milk and 1/4 cup of oil, stirring gently.
- Repeat until all the flour, baking powder, milk and oil have been incorporated into the mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Pour batter into two 8-inch round pans and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Prepare pastry cream.
Pastry Cream Instructions
- In a bowl, mix egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch on medium-high speed until mixture is thick and pale.
- Bring coconut milk, the other 1/2 cup sugar, chopped Purdys White Chocolate and vanilla extract to a simmer in a medium pan over medium-high heat.
- Turn mixer on medium-low and slowly pour milk mixture into egg yolk mixture. Transfer to saucepan.
- Cook mixture over medium-heat, whisking constantly until boiling.
- Remove from heat and strain through a fine sieve into a bowl. Let cool completely.
- In separate bowl, beat butter until creamy then add a tablespoon of cooled cream mixture. Continue adding cream mixture and beating on medium-low.
- Add coconut flakes and mix well.
- Slice cake horizontally into layers. Spread cream on one layer, then add another layer on top, repeating until finished. Spread remainder of the cream mixture on the outside of the cake and decorate with Snowballs as desired or as pictured.