For the rib rub
- 5 lbs baby back ribs (3 - 4 racks depending on size)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 50 g Purdys' Classic Dark Chocolate, chopped
- Combine all rub ingredients in a bowl, mix well and set aside.
- Line 1 or 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil.
- Place the ribs on the baking sheet(s) and sprinkle generously with rub.
- Use hands to rub mixture into the ribs.
- Cover baking sheet(s) with aluminum foil and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF, ensuring rack is in the middle of the oven.
- Transfer covered ribs to the oven and roast until the meat pulls away easily from the bones, about 2 and a half hours.
- While ribs are cooking, heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add diced onion and chili powder, cooking until golden brown, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the chocolate.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens, another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the chopped chocolate, stirring until melted and smooth.
- When ribs are fully cooked, remove from oven and baste with sauce.
- Briefly broil in oven to lightly caramelize.
- Include a side of remaining sauce as an accompaniment.
Purdys Recipe eBooks Online (Free!)
Discover the complex flavours of cocoa and expand your culinary repertoire by exploring our recipe collections.
View eBook Archives