- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Beat egg whites with electric mixer until frothy. Add cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, beating until sugar is dissolved and stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in the chopped English Toffee and crushed Superior Mix nuts.
- Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper. Draw 8-inch (20cm) circle on each.
- Divide mixture into thirds and spoon 1/3 into each circle. Spread evenly to fill circle completely.
- Bake each at a time in oven for 15-20 mins, until lightly golden in colour and crisp on the outside.
- Let cool, then peel off parchment paper.
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 6 Purdys Milk Chocolate Vanilla Caramels, (purchase in-shop)
- 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- In bowl, mix egg yolks, cornstarch and half of the sugar (1/4 cup) on medium-high speed.
- Gradually add 1/2 cup of milk until mixture is thick and pale.
- On stovetop, bring chopped caramels and remaining 2 cups of milk to a simmer, stirring occasionally until mixture is completely smooth.
- With mixer on medium-low speed, slowly pour the caramel milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture.
- Transfer to a saucepan and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until boiling.
- Strain through a fine sieve, then let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Add sugar (one tbsp at a time) and continue mixing on medium-low speed until smooth and creamy.
- Combine creamed butter into mixture.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the pastry cream as frosting.
- On serving plate, layer dacquoise rounds, spreading 1/3 of pastry cream in between each layer.
- Frost the sides and top of the cake. Decorate with crushed Superior Mix nuts and chopped English Toffee. If desired, shave dark chocolate on top of the cake.
Purdys Recipe eBooks Online (Free!)
Discover the complex flavours of cocoa and expand your culinary repertoire by exploring our recipe collections.
View eBook Archives