In This Recipe:
Yield - approx. 10 dozen pinwheel cookies.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, large
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 cup water (at room temperature)
- 3 pieces Peppermint Bark, finely chopped
- In a bowl, sift together flour, salt and baking soda.
- In separate bowl, cream the butter on medium-low speed until smooth (about 2 minutes). Gradually add sugar and mix for another 2 minutes.
- Add egg and vanilla extract to the creamed butter, mix well until combined.
- Add water, then reduce mixer speed to low and add half of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Add other half of the dry ingredients. Mix just until combined.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts. Shape each into a 5x5 inch square and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place one piece of the dough on waxed paper, then cover with another sheet of wax paper before rolling out the dough into an 8x10 inch rectangle.
- Remove the top sheet of wax paper. Generously sprinkle dough with finely chopped peppermint bark.
- Starting with the edge closest to you, tightly roll the dough. Continue rolling into a log shape, then transfer back to plastic wrap.
- Roll tightly, twisting the ends of the plastic wrap firmly to seal.
- Repeat with other half of the dough. Refrigerate logs for 3 hours.
- Preheat oven at 350F.
- Using a sharp, thin-bladed knife, slice the dough into 1/4 inch rounds.
- Place rounds on baking sheet lined with parchment paper, about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 2 minutes, then cool on wire rack.
- Store for up to 2 weeks in airtight container.