Vegan Chocolate Ganache Swirl Cake
Chocolate Cake Batter
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups granulated vegan sugar (preferably evaporated cane sugar)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup boiling water
Ganache Swirl and Drizzle
- 300 g Purdys vegan dark chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease 10-inch springform pan. TIP: For easy cake removal, also line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper round, then grease and flour parchment paper and the sides of the pan.
- In a bowl, finely chop vegan dark chocolate and set aside.
- Measure out unsweetened almond milk and mix with apple cider vinegar.
- In large bowl, add flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk well to combine.
- Add the oil, applesauce, vanilla and almond milk/vinegar mixture. Mix on medium speed with a hand mixer (or stand mixer with the paddle attachment) until well combined.
- Lower the speed and carefully pour in boiling water, continuing to mix into the cake batter until combined. The batter will seem very runny at this point.
- Pour the batter into your pan.
- Stir coconut milk until well mixed then warm it on the stovetop until steaming. Pour over chopped vegan dark chocolate and whisk to form a ganache.
- Using about half of the ganache/drizzle mixture, spoon dollops of the ganache onto the cake batter in the pan and swirl the ganache through the batter. Do not overmix, you want to see the swirls.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. After 10 minutes of cooling in the pan, carefully remove the cake from the pan and let cool completely before serving.
- Drizzle the remaining half of the ganache over the cake (it may need to be reheated to thin out and allow for proper drizzling), and top with your favourite nuts, fruits, ice cream or chocolate shavings.