As we’re slowly coming out of the cosy winter season in Canada, you can really start to feel the gradual awakening of the world around us. The birds are starting to make themselves heard (and seen!) a bit more, the leaves on trees are budding and sprouting, and the sun is sticking around just a little longer each day.
All that to say: Spring is coming, and with spring comes Easter, and with Easter…comes chocolate! Here at Purdys, we love every holiday, but Easter is special because it combines everything we love: chocolate, fluffy cute bunnies, and activities centred around finding all sorts of chocolate. It’s a wonderful time to spend with family and friends outdoors and enjoy amazing treats.
So, if you’re planning a get-together at home, an Easter hunt in the park, or wanting to bring some goodies to the office, we have a wonderful vegan Easter cookie recipe that’s easy to make, and will knock-your-bunny-ears off delicious.
These Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Caramel Thumbprint Cookies (long name, we know) have a crispy outside and gorgeously chewy inside. And they feature our newest vegan treat: Vegan Hawaiian Black Salt Caramels! These mouth-watering caramels are made with our own vegan caramel recipe, coated with Vegan Mylk chocolate, and topped with Hawaiian Black Salt. Combined with the cake-like cookie base, this tasty and easy recipe has the perfect combination of sweet, chewy, and salty. We think it’s simply the best cookie recipe for Easter-loving little kids and big kids alike.
Prep time: Approx. 45 minutes
Cook time: 9-10 minutes
Makes: Approx. 20 cookies
- 1/2 cup vegan butter at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup aquafaba (chickpea brine from a can of cooked chickpeas)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 2 cups flour (gluten free or regular - both work just fine)
- 5 Vegan Hawaiian Black Salt Caramels, cut into quarters
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add room temperature vegan butter to a large mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
- Add sugar and mix on medium speed for about a minute, until the mixture is smooth. Then add vanilla and chickpea brine and continue to mix. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add peanut butter and mix until smooth.
- Blend the dry ingredients together, then add slowly to the mixing bowl. Mix on low speed until just combined, being careful not to overmix.
- The dough should form a smooth ball. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Use a spoon or cookie scoop to measure the dough into balls slightly smaller than a golf ball, making 20 in total. Arrange on the parchment-lined baking sheets, pushing down a little with your thumb, and them pressing a piece of caramel into each thumbprint, chocolate side up.
- Bake for 9 - 10 minutes or until the cookies appear fluffy and the edges are slightly browned.
- Let cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.