- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 2 English Toffee Bars, finely chopped
- 100 g Superior Mix Nuts, crushed
For Pastry Cream:
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 6 Purdys Milk Chocolate Vanilla Caramels, (purchase in-shop)
- 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Beat egg whites with electric mixer until frothy. Add cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, beating until sugar is dissolved and stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in the chopped English Toffee and crushed Superior Mix nuts.
- Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper. Draw 8-inch (20cm) circle on each.
- Divide mixture into thirds and spoon 1/3 into each circle. Spread evenly to fill circle completely.
- Bake each at a time in oven for 15-20 mins, until lightly golden in colour and crisp on the outside.
- Let cool, then peel off parchment paper.
For Pastry Cream:
- In bowl, mix egg yolks, cornstarch and half of the sugar (1/4 cup) on medium-high speed.
- Gradually add 1/2 cup of milk until mixture is thick and pale.
- On stovetop, bring chopped caramels and remaining 2 cups of milk to a simmer, stirring occasionally until mixture is completely smooth.
- With mixer on medium-low speed, slowly pour the caramel milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture.
- Transfer to a saucepan and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until boiling.
- Strain through a fine sieve, then let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Add sugar (one tbsp at a time) and continue mixing on medium-low speed until smooth and creamy.
- Combine creamed butter into mixture.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the pastry cream as frosting.
- On serving plate, layer dacquoise rounds, spreading 1/3 of pastry cream in between each layer.
- Frost the sides and top of the cake. Decorate with crushed Superior Mix nuts and chopped English Toffee. If desired, shave dark chocolate on top of the cake.